Here it is, the 2019 Redbud Read-Aloud Handbook.
Complete with goals, recommended strategies, voting rules, voting form, sample bracket, and a list of “Not Quite Redbud” books.
Don’t forget to join the Redbud Read-Aloud Discussion Group on Facebook! Thank you for participating!
Click the link below to view the manual.
First, let’s reflect upon the first-annual Redbud Read-Aloud program….
“Excited for the new list to be announced. Ooooh, the cheering in my class as I announced each time a book won.. and when the final winner was announced my 2nd graders came out of their seats, cheering!!!!” Margo C – 2nd Grade Teacher
“The REDBUD READ ALOUDS were all the rage in Pre-K – 2nd grade last year! The students loved listening to the books read by myself or their teacher and casting their votes. Jackson Elementary is ready to participate in the 2019 contest!” Dana P – Teacher Librarian
“Our readers were so excited to visit the library each week during the campaign to see which books won each week. They cast their final votes the same week as their older friends voted for Sequoyah. And they all cheered as they watched the announcement of the final winner on the Facebook Live event. It made their reading and opinions important and validated. Thank you for the Redbud Read Alouds!” Janet B – Librarian
Here is a link to the Redbud Announcement, which was emailed out recently. If you don’t receive our newsletters, PLEASE contact us and we’ll try to help them get to you.
By Labor Day, we will be adding more 2019 Redbud info on this site, including a new Redbud manual, an “Almost Redbud” book list, a recommended bracket, and extension/activity guides to use Redbud books across the curriculum. We can even make a customized bracket for you with your own matchups – on request.
Please order your Redbuds from Perma-Bound – just search 2019 Redbud online and use promo code OKR18 to save!
Thank you for participating in the Redbud Read-Aloud Award program – and for all you do for Oklahoma students!
Little Wolf’s First Howling by Laura McGee Kvasnosky and Kate Harvey McGee!!! Laura sent a message to us…. “WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!” We’ve invited her to participate at OTA/Encyclo-Media in November to accept her award at our annual author celebration and visit a school or two. Fingers crossed!
If you didn’t see the announcement, check it out here www.facebook.com/brownbrothersbooks
Based on voting, over 26,000 students participated, over 1100 classrooms voted, and over 120 schools submitted votes.
Many other schools participated, but either didn’t quite finish, or weren’t able to get their votes turned in. Next year’s numbers will certainly go up!
Thank you so much for your amazing participation and support!
Thank to our amazing library-media friends for helping the Sequoyah program thrive in Oklahoma!
Introducing the 2019 Oklahoma Sequoyah Books.
Find the sets at www.perma-bound.com by searching “Sequoyah 2019” or by the catalog numbers below.
Use PROMO CODE OKS18 when you order to save up to $30.00!
(The promo code has an “18”, but make sure you order the 2019 sets)
Children’s: 15 Books, $295.38 Cat# 1083069
Intermediate: 15 Books, $296.47 Cat# 1083071
High School: 15 Books, $286.85 Cat# 1083072
Thank you to the Oklahoma Library Association and the Sequoyah committees for their dedication to the Sequoyah Book Award program!!! See their 2019 Sequoyah Facebook live announcement here https://www.facebook.com/oklibs/videos/10155105560021246/
Did you know about the Redbud Facebook discussion group?
It’s a great way to share ideas with your colleagues across the state. If your classroom teachers are participating – invite them to join too!
Stop by our booth at OTA/Encyclo-Media to pick up your 2018 Redbud Read-Aloud Poster – shown below.
Not coming to the conference? After you order your 2018 Redbuds from Perma-Bound, let us know and we’ll send you one. Don’t forget to use promo code OKR17 to save!
- Life on Mars by Jon Agee
- Don’t Blink by Tom Booth
- My Friend Maggie by Hannah Harrison (OK)
- Be Quiet! By Ryan Higgins
- Quit Calling Me a Monster! by Jory John
- Green Pants by Kenneth Kraegel
- Little Wolf’s First Howling by Laura Kvasnosky
- 7 Ate 9 by Tara Lazar
- Bella’s Fall Coat by Lynn Plourde
- Caring For Your Lion by Tammi Sauer (OK)
- Best in Snow by April Sayre
- Bob, Not Bob! by Audrey Vernick and Elizabeth Scanlon
- Toad on the Road by Stephen Shaskan
- Is That Wise, Pig? by Jan Thomas
- They All Saw a Cat by Brendan Wenzel
- Nanette’s Baguette by Mo Willems
REDBUD ORDERING INFORMATION:
CATALOG NUMBER: 1082184
Introducing the NEW 2018 Redbud Read-Aloud Award Program for PK-2nd grade Oklahoma students!
Check back here September 1st for a list of sixteen great read-alouds, including TWO by OKLAHOMA authors!!!
A poster and more program information, including pacing guide, bracket, lesson plans, and more will be available by October 3rd. Pick up yours at the Perma-Bound booth at OTA.
Happy Back-to-School time! We hope you had a great summer!
Within the next few days, you should receive a letter from us. It has some great Perma-Bound information.
Here are a few updates:
1. We send out a “weekly” email newsletter, but only about 20% of the recipients open it. Please make sure your email service is set up to accept emails from kennethbrown(at)perma-bound.com and kylebrown(at)perma-bound.com.
2. We post links to the email newsletters on this website, so if you think you’ve missed a newsletter, check here for it.
3. Want an author to visit your school? Let us help. Narrow down your list of authors and we’ll help put out the word to find other schools to host and help share the travel costs.
4. Two 2018 SEQUOYAH VIDEOS are done! Customers – please contact us for the link to the Children’s and Intermediate videos. The authors speak to the Oklahoma students about their nominated books. High School video will be ready soon!
5. We are in the process of making great Sequoyah promotional items. Word searches, Sequoyah voter ID cards, “I Voted” printables, and much more. Check back here for more information.
6. We know budgets are strained, but we appreciate your continued support, and we hope you will use us as a resource to stretch your book dollars.
Have a wonderful school year!
Kyle and Kenneth – The Brown Brothers
Our latest newsletter is available. The second annual GROW YOUR SEQUOYAH ISSUE! Please click on the menu at the right for great information on ways to grow your Sequoyah Book Award program. The newsletter even contains printable charts, voter ID cards, puzzles, and amazing ideas for kicking off your program, and following through with campaigning, voting activities, watch parties, and more!
The newsletter also includes information about a free Skype opportunity with Holly Schindler, author of 2017 Children’s Sequoyah Award nominee for “Junction of Sunshine and Lucky”.
And, the newsletter also spotlights great new books by Oklahoma authors.
Finally, if you are a Perma-Bound customer, and you haven’t requested your 2017 Sequoyah video link – email us today!